Food Systems For Nutrition Innovation Lab

Training Fellowships

The Feed the Future Food Systems for Nutrition Innovation Lab (FSN-IL), led by Tufts University and supported through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), is pleased to announce eight FSN-IL training fellowships for 2024 for emerging scholars and students from Bangladesh, Malawi, Mozambique, Nepal, as well as Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) in the United States. Funding can be used to support applicants with the costs of training and/or short courses (online or in-person) focused on technical issues relevant to food loss and waste, food safety, and enhanced access to nutrient-rich foods. The maximum amount per award will be up to $5000 USD.

The deadline to apply is March 30th, 2024

Award Details
  • Training fellowships will support expenses associated with enrolling in an online or in-person educational program offered by local or international institutions targeting food systems in low- or middle-income countries (LMIC).
  • Training fellowships may be used to help cover tuition and fees and related expenses if the activity is in-person. Expenses eligible for reimbursement are demarcated by an “X” in the following table:
Online Training In-Person Training
Tuition and fees X X
Maximum per diem rate as indicated by U.S. Department of State guidelines X

Economy airfare

Travel must be booked through Tufts’ Travel Collaborative to be compliant with the Fly America Act, as required by USAID.



  • The fellowship award amount of $5000 USD is inclusive of economy airfare costs and is only considered a qualified expense if the training is in-person AND the training is far from the applicant’s town, city, or country of residence.
  • An advance will be sent to the fellow upon execution of the agreement. The advance will be based on the U.S. Department of State maximum per diem rates according to location (foreign per diem rates by location look-up tool: link).
  • Training must focus on one or more of FSN-IL’s technical areas:
    • Prevention of food loss and waste
    • Enhancing food safety
    • Improving availability of, and access to, nutrient-dense foods
    • Metrics for monitoring food systems impacts on nutrition
  • Priority will be given to applicants who can also demonstrate that their activity will consider the following cross-cutting themes:
    • New or validation of existing metrics on food systems for nutrition
    • Support for improvements in the nutritional status of vulnerable populations, with a specific emphasis on gender and youth
  • Funding will be awarded for activities between March 2024 to December 2024.
  • In 2024, a maximum of eight training fellowships will be awarded.
Who is an FSN-IL Training Fellow?
  • Emerging scholars working in food systems or health and nutrition in Bangladesh, Malawi, Mozambique, or Nepal; or students (undergraduate, graduate, PhD, post-doc) enrolled in a food systems or health and nutrition program at an accredited university in Bangladesh, Malawi, Mozambique, or Nepal; or students enrolled in a food systems or health and nutrition program at an institution designated as Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) by the United States government (list).
  • Individuals seeking to enroll in a food system and/or innovation training. Training can include short courses, certificate programs, and/or workshops if the course material and accompanying applicant narrative demonstrates substantive engagement with key food systems and innovation concepts.

Upon completion of the funded activity, applicants will submit a 750-word report summarizing key takeaways, lessons learned, and how the experience has contributed to their professional goals.

  • Deadline for application submission: March 30, 2024
  • Selected Fellows can be expected to be notified by: April 30, 2024
  • The first disbursement of funds will be 85% of the award and issued prior to the training. The second and final installment will consist of the remaining 15% of the award and be issued upon receipt and approval of the final report.
  • Final date to expend funds: December 31, 2024
Information Session

Thank you to everyone who joined our information session on Friday, March 8th to learn more about FSN-IL’s training and travel fellowship opportunities. For those unable to attend, presentation slides and a copy of the webinar recording can be found below:

Webinar Materials                                                Format

Webinar Slides


Webinar Recording




For any inquiries, please email and address your message to Nour Elshabassi.